According to Culture Amp, if you strengthen your culture you can build a better company. If you want to change the behaviour or performance of your employees THE KEY PERSON is that person’s immediate, 1-up manager: their boss.
What is resistance management and what are reinforcement management strategies and how should you use them to promote the migration to the new ServiceNow solution?
The goal here is to move the needle so that the organisational and individual motivation, of moving to the ServiceNow solution, is greater than the motivation to remain using the old/current systems.
But how exactly do we do this? Well, this is where line managers and people leaders have the most important impact.
Motivation is a VERY personal thing.
What a manager thinks is a REWARD for a person may not, in fact, motivate that person. What motivates one person may not motivate the next.
Here are our top 7 ways to help change behaviour in your organisation.
There are dozens of ways to recognise and reward staff other than purely $, things such as:
- Secondments and short term task reassignments
- Training and Development opportunities
- Increased responsibilities (even decreased responsibilities!)
- Reduction of system and other controls – for example allowing more flexi-time or working from home arrangements
- Recognition: Public/Private – be careful with this one: some people do not like being praised in public
- Personal solutions – for example allowing an employee to alter their start and finish times on different days to cater for day-care or school drop-offs and pick-ups’
- Intrinsic motivators – the challenge of doing a difficult task, doing interesting work
It’s critical therefore that line managers know what works for each employee. A Reinforcement Assessment is a great way to do this and can be done by the Manager and the staff member where they then sit and discuss similarities and differences in their responses.
If you would like to conduct a reinforcement assessment with your employees and don’t know where to start, contact Enable, we have an Organisational Change Management team who can step you through an impactful way to work with your staff.
Written by –
Organisational Change Manager
Tribe – OCM